Sunday, November 25, 2007

november 25, 2007

we never know we are going to say goodbye

even when we know this parting is coming
even when we practice again and again
the word may fall from our lips with ease
every scenario repetitively run through in our brains
and our hearts have braced against inevitability

we never know

just when the doorway down the hall will softly close
the window in another room softly slide into place
and something that was always, is now foreclosed

there is no grace in grief
only hard jumbled feelings
unexpected impassible barriers
sharp edges where once we were whole

1 comment:

crystal said...

I'm happy to see you posting poetry. I love poetry. Now I just wish I could puzzle out all the details of why you wrote it, when you wrote it. Poetry emotes so much better than prose but always leaves me hungry for exposition. I guess I'm never satisfied. It's a good poem though.