Monday, April 28, 2008

And Now For Something Completely Different

It's quiet.

That's an elusive quality in this household. I'm enjoying it. I'm hoping to enjoy it for a while but I'm sure the universe and Murphy will conspire against me and MB will coming chirping down the hallway in a minute, entirely too energetic for this time of day. But it has been quiet for a little while, at least. I could get used to this.

I've had to set the alarm clock (horrors!) to 5:30 a.m. every day in order to turn the duck eggs. The Banshees have been staying up later and later these days; last night they didn't get into bed until a quarter to 10. The lovely, albeit unintended, side effect is that they're starting (finally!) to sleep in of a morning and I have all of this wonderful, wonderful stillness going on. I could so get used to this.

In fact, I may have to go out of my way to keep cultivating it. One of the difficult things about being a stay at home AND homeschooling Mom of three is getting any down time, any down time at all. This deprivation can and has lead to all sorts of stress issues with the current Mom in charge and I've been wondering rather desperately how to get Me time in a household that doesn't have an extra minute to squeeze anything out of. Then I do a stupid thing like bid for hatching eggs, the winning of which absolutely and unequivocally means that I have to get up early in the morning -- and I find this unexpected peace on my doorstep. I'm not a morning person. I'm not, I'm not, I'm not.

But for this, I'm going to try very hard to be one.

I'm going to try very hard to keep the kitchen spotless, so when I get up in the morning I can throw together a cup of tea without waking anybody up.

I'm going to keep the knitting by the reading couch, so I can have an hour or two of uninterrupted work on the Bridal Faroe (I don't have a bride in mind and may never, considering the learning curve and its aftereffect, but the thing is Big, and the perfect shade of cream, and it looks lacy despite being plain ol' garter stitch, and more than one knitter has asked me about my friends' and family's current wedding schedules when they see it.)

I can do the quiet little chores that always seem to go to the wayside when attempting to keep three Banshees awake, alive, and aware.

One of them appears to be awake now (LB, wow, I would have lost that office pool!) so I'll have to go now. But oh, it's been a lovely couple of hours.

4 comments:

Bobbi said...

Enjoy the peace and quiet, sip tea, dig garden space, knit and welcome awakening banshees with pancakes. OMG, is it obvious I have no children???

KnitWithTammy said...

I don't know. I treasure that "me" time too - but I still can't bring myself to say "It's worth it to get up at OMGthirty to have that time" - I like my sleep!

Good luck with that decision! ;)

Stephanie said...

LOL, Bobbi, that is pretty much what I intend. It's going to take a little while to get organized but Oh is it going to be worth it.

Tammy, I feel what you're saying right through my metatarsals. I really, really do, because I'm a first cousin to Auntie Mame and anything before noon is considered the middle of the night and horribly uncivilized. If there was any other way that worked (and believe me, I've tried almost everything), then I wouldn't dream of getting up at OMGthirty. I've just realized how important Me time has become -- as in keep-the-Banshees-breathing&in-one-piece vital. My stress levels have risen so high that I'm snarling at everyone almost all of the time. Not good! I can go back to being a night person when they are all successfully launched.

But you better believe that I have a source for Jolt cola and giant Pixie Stix for when the grand-banshees come along ;)!!

Bobbi said...

I still haven't got the hops planted, but I also ordered more hops for brewing. I got up 0 dark thirty to water the hops and see if flowers were blooming, before it gets too hot and I am chased inside. Oh, yeah, guess I will knit too!! See you in a little over a week. Check out Colleens progress on her blogger, I like that gussett she is doing