Sunday, May 18, 2008

One Cloud is Often Lonely

To quote Richard Adams, of Watership Down Fame. It sounds a lot better than omygodomygodomygodomygod....

Which may be translated, by those who have known me for any length of time, as stuffing 48 hours-into-24 again.

Today, DBS's one day off this week, we have 1. bicycle shopping, 2. park day, 3. possibly the county fair, and 4. more housecleaning. Of course DBS won't be participating in at least two of those events but the Banshees and I will be. Tomorrow morning I will roll over and eye the ringing alarm with much disfavor. I won't be able to ignore it because of the cheeping, squeaking, peeping crew in the bathroom. They're like babies everywhere; they do nothing but eat and sleep and make noises and messes and demand attention. Also like babies everywhere, they're utterly adorable even when up to their eyeballs in the latest round of mischief. However, unlike the Banshees, these little quackers are getting thrown out of the house next week when they start to get stinky. I'll get my bathroom back!

I have a confession to make: I actually bought a smidgeon of curriculum last week. Specifically, I bought Saxon math for homeschoolers. Right now I'm poking at it gingerly with a long, long stick, hoping it doesn't blow up on me or bite me or something equally unpleasant. It's a fairly pricey bit of work but I finally came to the conclusion that I need a bit of structure when it comes to teaching math and the Banshees will just have to lump it. Yes, they're miserable right now, moping and whining "Mom, can we have math now? How about now? Now?? Please? You said...."

Some days it just isn't worth chewing through the restraints.

3 comments:

KnitWithTammy said...

Saxon Math was a good one, Amber used it for 3 years. We were quite pleased. ;)

Bobbi said...

Yeah, sure the kids want to learn math!! I love the duckies postings, I look forward to seeing the newbies arriving.

Stephanie said...

Good to hear, Tammy. I wanted to go with Singapore because I've heard so many good things about it, but I couldn't get my brain around it so there's no way I could get their brains around it.

Bobbi, is it going to take video evidence? I swear I'm not making the begging for math bit up. As long as I'm not militant about scheduling or progress, the Banshees range from sanguine to demanding about their math intake.