Friday, May 16, 2008

reducks

I ordered 15 ducks. I got 15 ducks, but it appears that the order was skewed just a little -- I got 9 Cayugas instead of 8 (their famous extra in case of fatality). Obviously I was missing something else somewhere.

Based on body configuration, that Chocolate Runner evidently is not a Chocolate Runner. So they're sending me a Chocolate Runner and a Surprise Duck breed TBA next week. Wheee! I love surprise packages! I'm just going to be a little worried until they get here safely: there's a reason why most hatcheries will send no fewer than 10 at a time.

A friend loaned me the 4H poultry package. I like the looks of it and if I can persuade the Banshees that it's a good idea (and if they believe me) then we might be joining up. I like the idea of showing the ducks off. Even if we don't officially join I may just have them run through the program anyway -- there's a lot to learn there, and I'm evil, mean, and sneaky when it comes to getting knowledge into tiny craniums.

I also learned from the horse's mouth, as it were, that I cannot bring a cow onto the property unless I have an educational permit. When I had the dog shot and tagged I asked Animal Control about backyard bovines. Evidently there are 'agricultural' zones in our fair city that don't require any sort of permits, but I'm in a special license zone. If we ever get around to being able to afford that cow I'll start investigating what hoops I have to go through to get the permit. Considering the price tag on Buttercup and Barbeque though, it will be at least 15 years and another property before I can even begin to think about affording them.

2 comments:

KnitWithTammy said...

You had the dog Shot and tagged?
HUH?

Stephanie said...

Updated vet shots and renewed license. I wanted to hand her over to my MIL with everything in order...all my ducks in a row, as it were ;).

Nothing more mischevious or permanent. Honest.