Wednesday, April 8, 2009

oh dear...

It really is no wonder that my nearest and dearest snicker slightly hysterically whenever I proffer the notion that I'm "slowing down" or trying to "simplify" my life. I'm trying to whittle the duck flock down to a more manageable number and what do I do.

Yup. I bid on American Buff goose eggs. And won. Mind you, it's a pre-sale and if the ladies don't produce then I have one less thing to explain to the husband...and you are quite right if you think I haven't yet had the courage to tell him.

Oh yes, and there's the matter of the 15 chicks that are going to land, peeping and squeaking, on our doorstep come June 3rd or so -- but he knows about that, and I can correctly lay all of the blame on him for that adventure since it was all his idea. Okay, he wanted two and his eyebrows tried to crawl down the back of his collar when I told him how many were on order, but he did calm down when I explained that I was just central booking for several families who wanted just two or three chickens. He was less mollified when I said I was also central brooding agency until everybody's feathered in. I guess having a heat lamp and successfully raising mumblemumble ducks qualifies me as the resident expert.

The ducks are producing nearly to capacity. I have 24 and get between 19 and 22 eggs a day. A day. No, we can't eat all of them. I've been able to sell a small amount and there are a whole bunch of friends of friends who are happily singing my praises over the eggs I've been giving away just so I don't have to throw them out. It can't last; more than a few of these ladies are going to have to go into the stew pot. This still cracks DBS up -- not the imminent demise, but because their demise is anything BUT imminent. I've lost more to attrition than I have to the axe. It's hard, messy work that I'm lousy and painfully slow at. And I really don't want to do it at all. You'd think that it would curb my enthusiasm somewhat, but you'd be wrong. I'm eyeballing Welsummer chicken hatching eggs and trying to find a good source for Trout Runner duck hatching eggs, since TBA is a Trout drake and I'd like to find him a good match.

I'm still looking for the Halloween peach tree. Anybody out there got some good leads?

The first hoop house went up a couple of days ago. It's got more sway in it than a herd of camels but you can only fault the jig-operator and not the jig itself. The table I'm using to bend the top-rail is not level, not plumb, and I doubt very much if there's a right angle anywhere in its vicinity. I was really hoping to hold out until I could get a better table but the dryer went out and the clothesline became the only viable option. Since I have a lot of laundry to do every single day, the solitary clothesline that I put up 12 years ago is no longer enough. Also, since we're too broke to pay attention, getting any sort of traditionally constructed clothesline is just not an option. But I do have all of this 1 3/8" top rail hanging around the back yard...in utter desperation I quickly bent and put together three hoops and connected them. Oh man. I have got to get pictures up. This is exhibit number one about how not to do just about everything connected with one of these projects. On the other hand, it isn't going to fall over in a wind-storm, so it's perfect for what I need it to do. Friday I have to string the actual line and by then it might have stopped raining. (Yes, the universe does have a sense of humor. I don't know if it's trying to teach me something or just have a good giggle at my expense.)

Tonight I have to boil about 80 eggs and very early tomorrow I have to color said eggs for the egg-hunt that's being hosted at the park by my local homeschooling group. Oh yes, and since it's a pot-luck I also have to cook a whole bunch of food. It's a good thing I brew coffee strong enough to float horseshoes; I really don't think I'm going to have time to sleep tonight.

Slow down. heh. I'm trying.

1 comment:

KnitWithTammy said...

I want to see a picture of that clothesline! ;)