Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Miscellaneous Blog Post Blues

Let's see.

I'm in day 27 of NaNoWriMo and so far behind I think I'm officially immortal. Procrastination means that now, instead of writing a measly 1667 words per day, I have to write a shade under 10,000 per day in order to make my 50,000 word count. Okay, I can do it, but I can't guarantee these words are going to be quality, or even coherent. But I guess that's what editing is all about, right? I just won't be able to do any editing in December because we're going to be taking 30 days out to study civics. Not sure exactly  how - that's the penalty for making it up as you go - but I'm sure I'm going to be raiding the local public library again. Have I mentioned how much I love that place? We didn't quite get done with Sumeria in October, so we're going to be revisiting that in December as well. Between that and holiday knitting I'm not sure how much sleep I'm going to be getting in the next 33 days.

On the bright side, the Eldest Banshee has a much higher word count than I do toward her qualifying novel. I may berate myself for my awkward ways, but I'm pretty proud of my budding novelist. MB and LB are doing okay but they haven't taken to it the way she has. I told her that if she will let me edit it, I will get her a hard-bound copy through Lulu.com. I think it's a win-win - I haven't been able to finish anything worth professional binding, but I just love editing and I've always wanted to formally lay-out a book, and her book gives me a great opportunity.

Don't tell DBS but I have one or two...okay, maybe a hair under a dozen...fruit trees coming in over the next four months. That's a little more than he was bargaining for and I really have no idea where I'm going to put them all, but, well, my enthusiasm got away from me again. There are hundreds of apple varieties and I had to narrow them down to how many? I did narrow them down, I promise I did, but I still ended up with 8 apple trees. Gravenstein, Winesap, Sierra Beauty, Blue Pearmain, Pumpkin Russet, Arkansas, and two Wickson crabapples. Do I have to mention the English Morello cherry (pies, preserves, canning) and Sweetheart cherry (fresh eating)? At least I held myself to just one peach tree, if only because I'm not sure I'm going to have enough land for anything else.

LB is our only successful gardener at this point. She took some seriously over-ripe sweet potatoes and buried them in the front yard. After a few months of careful watering she dug them up last week, and I made candied sweet potatoes with half of the results. The other half she's saving for baked sweet potato. I asked her if she wanted more sweet potato slips for the Spring, and received an enthusiastic yes! I'm hoping she leaves me enough room for the russets, reds, and fingerlings I want to plant.

Our local credit union branch is closing down. Darn it, darn it, darn it. It was located in a local grocery store and the grocery store, if I understand it correctly, is closing its doors, so no more favorite credit union branch. Pff. It makes me want to go kick rocks. They had the friendliest and nicest of people as tellers there, and I am going to miss them. Phooey.

No comments: