Monday, December 10, 2012

Bleh

NaNo was a bust. I was too far behind and all of my efforts to catch up resulted in a crazed attempt to garner word count at the expense of...well, everything. I should like the story to be a story when I'm done with it. So when it got to the point where there was plenty of blather but no actual furtherance of the real writing, I quit. It was a lot harder to quit than I thought it would be. I wanted it. I can, however, garner 50,000 words at any time of the year - even in 30 days if I so wish - so perhaps this novel is merely postponed.

On the bright side, in the last week of NaNo, when I was struggling with the realization that my frantic wordsmithing was in service of all of the wrong things, one of my Facebook buddies introduced me to Coursera. And not just any course, my absolute Holy Grail of Courses, an honest to gods How To Think class. Not a What To Think Class, an honest-to-goodness HOW to think class. I have been searching for something like this for more than a decade, ever since I realized that I could spot an argument that looked specious as all get out but that I could not put my finger on exactly why it was a bad argument. Which is absolutely infuriating because one of the first things you need to do in order to counter a bad argument is to spot why it's bad. So, yes, How To Think, sign me up. Of course I'm already about a week behind because of the fall-out from NaNo and the pressure to actually keep the Banshees alive, functioning, and possibly actually learning things, but I suspect that I'll spend the rest of today catching up.

MB is baking bread. EB is showing off hairstyles, LB is probably buried in a book and ignoring her chores.  After our knit-together at the local bookstore we're going to come home, bake gingerbread cookies, hunt up civics lessons, and I'll try to persuade them that if they can hear the clickety clickety click of my fingers on a keyboard, then it probably isn't a good time to try to strike up an in-depth conversation about the basic unfairness of being themselves in a family that is trying to teach them some semblance of civilization. Because that conversation will not go well at all. Welcome to Monday.

No comments: