Monday, August 3, 2015

The Gym

I work heavy construction. Which is not in the least bit easy at the tail-end of 5 decades on earth, let alone 120+ pounds overweight. Well, I went to work, and work peeled 25 pounds from me. Mind you, the arthritic knees that I must have been developing over a period of time decided to announce themselves with awful clarity the first full week I was working (we told you 6/10s? We really meant 7/12s! Go zero to one hundred sixty in nothing point flat!), and my feet may never talk to me again (truly. What isn't hurting has gone rather numb.) But 25 is 25 and I mean to never become reacquainted with those pounds again.

However. What the winds of fortune bring they often take away again. My job, projected to last 6 months, lasted a little better than 5 weeks for me. That's the story of "field" construction, a classification of work that is inherently unstable for a whole slew of reasons, only some of which have anything to do with actual job performance. I'm at peace with the whole I'm unemployed again bit. What I'm really agitating about is A) Maintaining exercise pace, B) Continue weight loss (hey, still got 100 pounds to go!), and C) Get This House Decluttered so I can get it clean.

I've got an exercise schedule mapped out, check. Fell off the bandwagon a little nutritionally but climbing back aboard (the plate, by the way, was a good idea. I continued it by getting little Lock&Lock containers, 6 ounces apiece, for more help in the portion control department.) What is driving me batguanocrazy right now is the horrendous clutter in my house. Now I have to develop a strategy to get rid of what it's necessary to get rid of, not an easy thing when I get so ridiculously attached to things. Stuff. Inanimate objects that I've imbued with some memory, so that throwing away the object feels perilously close to throwing away a memory. Gah. Then there is the whole oh my goodness gracious there is just so MUCH stuff to deal with paralyzer. There. Is. Just. So. MUCH. To deal with, that I can't even begin to wrap my brain around it all.

Well.

One step at a time.

One room at a time.

One corner of a room at a time, if need be.

I think I'm going to start with my sewing table and then go through Stash Mountain. Then I'm going to have deal with the piles of paper that have been accumulating through the last 18 years or so. Just 'cause Mom held on to every piece of parchment she ever laid hands on doesn't mean I have to. Some things just need to be gone through and let go of already. While doing this I have to arrange the woodworking area into a working shape, because MB has done what I asked of him (cleaned his room and kept it clean) and now it's time to build that loft bed for him. Since we're going to be tearing his room apart anyway, we're going to clean, patch, and paint his walls for the first time in more than a decade.

I have patterns of behavior that have lasted for decades and Oh My will it be difficult to alter.

No comments: